Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A brief logo lesson...



I was notified recently that someone in Hawaii had seen a bumper sticker with a big orange T on it... hmmm... of course I had to believe that this was a Power T for my beloved Tennessee Volunteers. But then I do have to be mindful of what we in Big Orange Country refer to as "The OTHER UT" - that being the University of Texas who also uses a similar logo for their school.

Herein lies a thorough yet concise treatise on the basic difference between the two logos. And a little tidbit thrown in at the end just for fun...



The Tennessee Power T is seen in the upper left hand corner here. The color is Tennessee Orange which has less red than the Texas burnt orange and more yellow. In addition, you can see by comparison that there is a distinct difference in font style with the Tennessee Power T being rounded in the interior angles while the Texas T is a classic block font with a simpler overall effect.

The interlocking UT symbol that both schools use is almost identical, but as you can see from the pictures, the Tennessee version retains a more distinct appearance with the lack accenting border while the Texas version is a straight block style.


And now for the finale - the tidbit I promised you. Obviously as a Tennessee alum I MUST be biased towards my school...

I have often told my closest friends and family that if I could ever bring them to a Tennessee football game some crisp November afternoon I would love to be able to do so - if only to have them see the incredible spectacle that is the on-field pregame tradition unrivaled in college football. The Tennessee Pride of the Southland Marching Band forms a large solid Power T and marches in unison up and down the field prior to forming a solid T that splits at the last second to allow the cheerleaders and football team to come running through an open T on to the field. If I can find some pictures to illustrate I will... or better a video (good luck on THAT!). Just imagine this spectacle with 108,000 people screaming at a collective din that makes screaming to your seatmate impossible for about 5 solid minutes: and then the game starts!! GO VOLS!!!




No comments: