Thursday, May 17, 2007

Red Sox sock Detroit Meow Meows


I firmly believe that the Detroit Tigers will be leaving Boston tonight thinking that they should have won 3 out of the 4 games in this past series - instead, they'll leave losing 2 in a row and 3 out of 4 to the Red Hot Sox.

Lesson learned by the rest of the league? As long as you can get into the Detroit bullpen your chances of winning go up dramatically.

The only bright spot for the kitties this week was flamethrower Justin Verlander's superb start versus an uncharacteristically hittable Tim Wakefield. And if you'd told me that neither Beckett, Schilling nor Wakefield would get wins in this series I would have told you that we probably got swept. Gee whiz I love being wrong sometimes... but don't tell my readers (all 2 of them).

Add to the sweetness that the yanks have been struggling against the White Sox and you're looking at a 9.5 game lead for Boston in the AL East. I know it is only May, but as they say in September, "losses cannot be taken off your record, you can only add wins." I hate being X number of games back in the loss column... it feels fantastic to be 9 games ahead of NY in the loss column.

One final note - can ANYONE not be happy for Eric Hinske today?! A guy who is loaded with potential but never realized - and not because of lack of effort or attitude. His lack of playing time this year has been a contributing factor as well, but with the unfortunate hustle injury to JD Drew he has been forced into service that I believe will do wonders for him. Tonight he made an absolutely phenomenal catch that even watching in slow motion I had a hard time believing he was going to make and then two innings later hits an absolute howitzer shot into the bullpen in deep right center field to make the difference in a 4-2 series-clinching win. Check out the video if you don't believe me... I think the smile on his face says it all!

Now we can only hope that we're actually going to care who wins the All-Star game come summer time ;)

No comments: