Monday, May 28, 2007

Trot back in Boston... in the wrong uniform


One of the most intense competitors and down right great person ever to have worn the Boston Red Sox uniform was back in Beantown today for the start of a three game series between the Sox and the AL Central-leading Cleveland Indians.

Christopher "Trot" Nixon, apart from wearing my favorite number, having the same first name, playing the outfield like I do, and batting lefty like I do, is an incredible teammate and my favorite Red Sox player of all time. I even gave my wife the old puppy dog eyes the other day so that she would consider using part of her father's day gift money on a Trot Nixon jersey that I found on the web. Nothing too fancy but I wanted to make sure I had a mimento that will always remind me of where Trot belongs - Boston. More specifically - right field at Fenway. That honor now belongs to JD Drew and time will tell if JD even comes close to the adoration that Trot earned. Don't get me wrong, I am a BIG JD Drew fan and always have drooled over the prospect of signing him - but the price was tough to swallow. Trot was family to most of New England.

Trot even gave the Fenway faithful a wave and a smile following their standing ovation prior to his first AB of the game - he then promptly singled into, you guessed it, right field for the Indians first hit of the game.

Welcome home Trot - we wish you had never left.

No comments: