Saturday, June 2, 2007

Women's College World Series

I know you will all accuse me of extreme bias, but I think Tennessee's women got the shaft by the selection committee for the NCAA Division I Women's Softball Championships and College World Series. They got the overall #5 seed after the following season (stats not official - but I think I'm pretty darn close):

Ranked #1 (most of the time unanimously) every week (except week of May 4th) from Feb. 13th to end of season
Swept #1 Alabama (the team at #1 on May 4th) to clinch SEC regular season title
Record of 61-6 (so far)
Winning streaks of 20 and 26 games
Lost only one series all year
Lost two games in a row only once
First team in 6 years to sweep SEC perennial power Georgia in Athens
39 shutouts (including 4 streaks of at least 5 in a row)
8 no-hitters
4 perfect games
19 games shortened by the run rule

Now HOW do you drop them to #5 after losing a 1-0 game in the SEC tournament? I guess there's no respect for the SEC until they earn it it the WCWS.

And how has the velvet steamroller that is the Orange Crush doing despite the snub?

1. 1st team to no-hit U. Hawaii this season in super regional action
2. No-hit Texas A&M 2-0 in first game of WCWS
3. Beat defending champion Arizona 1-0 in second game of WCWS

Guess there's a little payback huh? Sound familiar? It should - my Lady Vols hoops squad took a small chip on their shoulder all the way to the National Title back in March Madness.

Keep it up Lady Vols! We'll be rooting for you all the way from New Hampshire!!

No comments: